I'm glad to say that it seems our trial with the changed contest format last month appears to have been something of a success. =) Even though I've held off approving things from my own account, stories are still getting through and approved at a good pace. We only had a very very small number of legitimate submissions drop down to fail. The average number of stories we're seeing in the queue is also trending upwards at a good rate. One area that we could still see some improvement is in the variety of websites being used as sources. You should always use the original source, of course, but there's plenty of other news sites out there which we're perhaps not tapping as much as we could. To some extent that's understandable, since many of you submitting stories are submitting things you've actually written on your own websites. But for those users who are primarily submitting stories from the larger news sites, and getting into a race with each other to see who can get the updates from those websites up on here first? You might find it easier to branch out a little, and find a niche without as much competition. I'll be submitting some stories this month to give you all a few ideas there, so take a look at my public contributions and feel free to steal a few ideas. ;)
We'll continue the trial of the new contest format this month with one slight change. Last month, the contest was setup so that the winners were random. Contributing more gave you more entries, and when some people *really* blow out their score it does give them an exceptionally high chance of winning, but it's never a sure thing. Well, what if it was? This month, the prizes will go to the top 4, whoever they may be. Typically those who've scored highest in past competitions have been those who've submitted more stories from generalist sites, so this might be a bit of extra incentive for those people to branch out. ;) Though of course, those past competitions were based on news submissions only. Your approvals count now too, and more people submitting stories means more for those more focused on review and report to play with as well.
Next month, the contests will be taking a 1 month break before resuming again for Easter, as I crunch the numbers for how these past two months have gone in comparison to each other and to last year. A blog post with the winners for this month will still be posted as normal, and we can use that to continue the discussion about submissions and the contest format.
One last thing. We didn't publish the answers for the Christmas Trivia contest back in January (since you wouldn't have gotten any notification about it if we just edited them in later), but we will be putting them out there this month. I'll edit them into the bottom of this post and make a comment here when they're ready.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT CONTEST v2
How involved are you in the AnimeShinbun community? Every news story you submit, and every submission you review to approve or report, will net you points towards this competition. The more you help our community grow and be active, the more likely you are to win! Be careful to not submit or approve spam or inappropriate stories, or to approve stories from a website that you contribute to.
Prize: 4 winners, receiving a $50 USD Amazon Gift Card each!
Terms and Conditions:
1. Competition is open to all AnimeShinbun users, except for employees of HAVAmedia and immediate relatives. Contests are open to entries worldwide, and are not limited to the US / North America. Please Note: Moderators do not receive remuneration, are not employees of HAVAmedia, and are eligible for monthly contests.
2. The closing date is 11:59 PM American Pacific Standard Time, 28 February 2017.
3. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, AnimeShinbun/HAVAmedia reserves the right to substitute the prizes for alternatives of equal or greater value.
4. Prizes are not transferable.
5. Barring unforeseen delays, the winners of the competition will be notified by AnimeShinbun ticket in the 2nd week of March, 2017.
6. For winners who have not previously won a contest, failure to reply to ticket notification within seven (7) days will result in forfeiture of prize. Winners whose details are on file from a previous contest win need only reply to the ticket notification if their details have changed, otherwise their prize will be sent to the address we already have on file.
8. Lottery style winners are chosen at random from eligible entries. Spam or multiple accounts will result in disqualification.
9. All prize values are in USD. Where prizes are awarded to winners outside the US, the exchange rate at time of prize issue will affect prize amount.
10. In the interests of fairness, each entrant will only be eligible to win one prize per month from AnimeShinbun. If an entrant comes up for multiple prizes, they will be awarded the highest value one and the remaining prizes will be redrawn. When the user is eligible for multiple prizes of the same value, they will be credited as winning the contest for which there was the least competition and/or the most skill involved, and the remaining contests will be redrawn.
2017 January Monthly Contest Winners